Listen to some of Jenna's favorites


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones




Thursday, April 8, 2010

I wanna be just like you...

When I was in college (I laugh at that term because I went to MATC and it never felt like 'college'), I used to love the drive to Madison. It was my time and I would crank the music and sing along with whatever I was into. I was really into movie soundtracks for awhile. They're like a great mix cd. And I was into classics like Carol King and Fleetwood Mac. The Coors, Jewel, Train, Dave Matthews Band, Dido, Sarah MacLachlan, Nina Gordon, Tara MacLean...the list goes on and on. You'll notice there's no country music listed there. I came to appreciate some of it a little later on.

Eventually, life got in the way of my music time. I didn't have space to dance around in my bedroom to music anymore. And I was rarely all alone. There was no way I was going to dance in front of my husband...sure fire way to scare him off! The only time I really got to enjoy my music was in the car but it's tough to crank it up too much with kids in the car. There have been times when I've told Teagan that we need to have a 'quiet' car ride. I also don't allow kids music in the car except on rare occasions. It's for my own sanity. I loose myself in the music I listen to. It takes me away from my troubles or helps me to confront them depending on what I'm listen to. And no, I don't get so lost in it that I can't drive.

In an effort to expose my kids (mostly Teagan at this point) to great music, I've been trying to listen to music while I cook dinner. Teagan loves it. She sings along with what she knows and hums along with the rest. And it makes the task of cooking dinner a bit more fun. I usually enjoy cooking dinner but how can it not be more fun when your dancing in the kitchen?

Lately, I've been opting for Muse (I L-O-V-E them!!) or Hayley Westenra (she's AMAZING) but tonight I was in the mood for something different. I was looking for a certain Carol King cd but it wasn't in its place (not a big shock as I am notorious for not putting things away in their proper places). I found a cd I hadn't listened to in probably two or three years and I thought "Awesome! This is a fun one!"

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy!!

I have to say that grooving to their version of "I Wanna Be Just Like You" (from the Jungle Book) makes cooking spaghetti for dinner so much more delightful.


2 comments:

  1. what a great idea, Jenna! I will have to try that!!!!

    PS I love the cherries!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Jenna, I totally do that too! Seriously! Last night we were doing a Michael Jackson night while I made dinner. I think we have to teach our kids about the classics. KEEP ROCKING!

    ReplyDelete